Jim McSherry is adamant it is the worst sending-off he’s ever observed, 43 years onto it is nevertheless a massive talking point.

The afternoon Johnny Doyle downed referee Bob Cuthill using a driven cross and subsequently was sent off following the knocked-out Whistler got back to his feet.

However, Ayr hung for a famous 2-1 win to receive their third year in the Premier Division off to a flier.

McSherry, playing the right of midfield, was abandoned shell-shocked when Cuthill delivered Doyle packing.

Wiry winger Doyle, that was marketed by Ayr for #90,000 a year before, was seething as he stormed off, cleaning beyond Stein and rushing up the tube.

McSherry, the mine host in Ayr’s Wee Windaes, disclosed: “Doyle could not have struck the referee if he’d attempted. The whistle had gone a split second before for hand ball but Johnny only fired at the ball with his left foot that wasn’t his strongest.

“I had been standing at the edge of the box and could not believe it. I knew Bob Cuthill and that he was a wonderful guy but I believe he was ashamed at being pumped out and chose wrong.

“Our coach Willie Wallace arrived and gave him remedy but after he’d recovered he stunned everyone with all the red card.

“I recall Stein coming into the touchline and inquiring Doyle what he’d said to the ref for off himself.

Unsurprisingly they appealed and the decision was rescinded.

“I get Celtic fans coming up to me and showing me that the YouTube footage of this incident. After all the years, they still can not believe it”

McSherry played Doyle when Ayr took their Premier bow in seasons 1975-76, completing sixth before Aberdeen, Dundee United, Dundee and St Johnstone.

Johnny was daft and could boast to us that his great buddy Dan was a golf legend.

“When Ally MacLeod signed him from Viewpark Boys’ Guild, he was thin and did not seem like he ate well. However, he could run all day and was very competitive to get a winger.

“To be capped for Scotland while enjoying Ayr has been a wonderful achievement. This was a very wonderful touch when Johnny gave his jersey out of the match against Romania to Ally.”

Regrettably, Doyle was just 30 when he died in 1981 after being electrocuted while working on his new residence in Kilmarnock.

He had been sent off playing Ayr from Celtic on a brief time before linking them in March 1976. However, that red card did not possess the infamy of this one on his return to Somerset.

Alex Stuart’s men trailed at the break into some Joe Craig target after Hugh Sproat failed to hold a shot from Tommy Burns. Enter large McCall, a 7000 purchase from Aberdeen, to flip the match.

In 56 minutes, he chased the equaliser beyond Peter Latchford. Then 3 minutes later, he caught the winner in bizarre conditions.

A Danny Masterton cross has been kicked off the line by Johannes Edvaldsson however, the ball struck McCall and rebounded into the internet.

Doyle watched red with half an hour to go but decided Ayr hauled on.